Mass Permit to Carry Recertification

Iowa Carry Mass Recert Day

October 10th, Big Springs Gun Range, Searsboro, Iowa.

October 10th

10am to 6pm

$25 per person

Big Springs Shooting Complex (map)

Time to Renew

It’s been 5 years since we got Shall Issue signed into law. That means there are tens of thousands of Permits to Carry who are about to be expire. DON’T LET YOUR PERMIT EXPIRE!

We’ve made getting re-certified easy. Join us October 10th at the Big Springs Gun Range in Searsboro, Iowa. For just $25 we’ll get you re-certified and on your way in less than 60 minutes. If you can’t make it, please check out our Renewing your Iowa Permit to Carry Weapons page for more details on what you need to do to get your permit renewed.

Our goal is simple: get as many people recertified as quickly and cheaply as possible. The last thing we want is Iowans carrying around expired permits.

This event will operate on a first come, first served basis. No RSVP required.

We recommend you review the required equipment and testing requirements listed below. You will be allowed to practice before hand, but this is not the time to try to learn to shoot your carry weapon for the first time. PRACTICE!

The best part of all this is all proceeds from this event will benefit the Iowa Firearms Coalition’s political action committee. Which means you’ll be on your way to carry for another 5 years, and the money you spend on recertification will go directly towards getting pro-Second Amendment candidates elected and pro-gun owner laws passed. A win-win if there ever was such a thing.

Instruction & Certification

Steve Hensyel
Hawkeye Firearms Instruction

Rick Largesse
Controlled Chaos Arms

Required equipment

-Carry handgun
-20 rounds ammunition to qualify (more if you’d like to practice)
-Eye protection
-Ear protection
-$25 cash

Re-certification Test Requirements

Target: 8 inches
Distance: 8 yards
Time: 60 seconds
Shots: 10
Required Reloads: 1
Accuracy Requirement: 100%

You will be allowed to practice before testing. Each participant will be allowed two attempts.

Iowa Firearms Coalition is an entirely volunteer, grassroots, Second Amendment advocacy group. Responsible for bringing uniformity to Iowa’s Concealed Weapons Permitting process, IFC’s members work to protect and enhance Second Amendment rights in Iowa. An affiliate of the National Rifle Association, the IFC actively seeks to foster and promote the shooting sports. Sign up for our email list for the latest on Second Amendment issues in Iowa. You can support our work by becoming a member, or making a donation.

Our readers said:

Write us your thoughts about this post. Be kind & Play nice.
  1. James H. says:

Maybe this ass backwards law with all of it’s training/re-training BS should just be replaced by constitutional carry. Oh wait, then the IFC/NRA couldn’t make all that money off of us “excercising our rights”. The IFC did a fantastic job with this law. You have to show proof of training to renew in the last twelve months, but to get a new permit my training could have taken place any time in the past? That’s genius.

• Kurt Liske says:

You’re right James this is far from perfect, but for hundreds of thousands of Iowans with their permits it’s waaay better than the old May Issue system we lived under up until 2010.

We’re pushing towards CC, but it’s not like IFC, or the NRA or any of the other smaller 2A groups can just wave a magic wand and make it so. We didn’t lose our Second Amendment rights in one fell swoop, and we’re not going to win them back that way either. It’s called incrementalism and it’s the name of the game when you’re trying to change law.

2. John Kerber says:

What time on Oct 10 for the re-certify training?

3. James H. says:

Less talk about suppressors and data bases and the like, and more action on the constitutional carry, stand your ground, and castle doctrine fronts. Then I’ll believe you.

4. Mike Rikard says:

When I renew my ptc (which expires 1-6-2015), will they make the new permit expire 5 years after (a) 1-6-2015 or (b) the day I renew?

5. Mike Rikard says:

I mistakenly wrote 2015; it is 2016

6. Larry John Kelley Jr says:

Can I come and get my conceal carry permit there or do they do that some where else

• Kurt Liske says:

Larry, you’ll need to get your actual permit from your county sheriff’s office. What this event will provide is proof (in the form of a certificate) that you passed a range test which will qualify you for re-certification. Hope that makes sense.

7. John Kerber says:

Sounds like a great chance to renew and help IFC. Thanks & I’ll plan on it.

8. John Kerber says:

Are you starting a list of folks planning on attending on the 10th or just show up and get worked in as time permits?
    Thanks,
    John Kerber

9. Cindy says:

If I have moved to a different county from where I got my original Permit, do I need to re-apply with my current county Sheriff Department?

• Doug says:

Anyone have an answer to this?

• Kurt Liske says:

Cynthia/Doug-

No, you do not require permission from the sheriff in either your former or your current county of residence to obtain training for your permit. In essence, any training provided by an NRA or police certified instructor, anywhere in the country, is valid in Iowa and one needn’t notify anyone prior to or after taking it. You merely do your training, take your training certificate into the sheriff’s office in your county of residence, fill out the permit application there, pay them $50, and get your permit. That simple!

Thanks guys!

• Doug says:

I think you misunderstood the question.
          A) Do you have to change your permit when you change your residence and
          B) Is it still a renewal when the old permit was from a different county? Or do you have to apply for a new permit and require a classroom certificate.

10. Alan says:

Are you planning more re-certification event?

11. Dave says:

Does anyone know for sure what it takes to requalify for a permit. My friend just went to a requalification course and it was 50 shots. Are you sure that 10 is sufficient and does caliber matter?

12. Waylon says:

I guess I’m not up to date. I didn’t know a range test was required for a license in Iowa. it wasn’t necessary when I obtained my permit. Please advise.

13. Tim says:

My permit expires on 10/21/16, just outside the 1 year window for the 10/10/15 training. Will you be having more of these mass recertifications next year?

• Kurt Liske says:

Tim- This is IFC’s first go at an event like this. Assuming there are no major catastrophes there’s a very good chance we will be doing more. Keep an eye out for more events along these lines.

Thanks for your support!

Trackbacks for this post

1. Iowa Firearms Coalition to hold Permit to Carry Recertification event on October 10th | Pro 2nd Amendment Boycott – P2AB
  2. Iowa Firearms Coalition to Hold Permit to Carry Recertification Event on October 10th
  3. Iowa Firearms Coalition to Hold Permit to Carry Recertification Event on October 10th | 1 In The Chamber

Express your thoughts