“IFC, how can my county become a Second Amendment Sanctuary County?” We’re getting this question a lot and just as IFC has done for years, we’re providing you education and information to accomplish the goal. Here is your roadmap:
If you’re a county resident:
- Find or identify your local county board of supervisors. Most counties have a website that offers the supervisors’ information so you may contact them. If not, you’ll be able to get this information at the local courthouse by calling or visiting with them.
- Reach out to ALL of your local supervisors.
- Illustrate and show them the examples of other counties and remind them just how important the Bill of Rights is to you. Make sure your supervisors know you need them to take a stand and declare the Second Amendment is important to them.
- Rally others to the cause. Your voice is important, but when you engage your friends and neighbors several voices can make the difference.
- Offer them the sample language below.
If you’re a County Supervisor:
- Take the sample language below and read it thoroughly.
- Understand that you’re taking a stand on the virtues contained in the Bill of Rights. Nobody can argue that the 2A isn’t tinkered with and chipped away day after day. As a County Supervisor, you’re signaling with a resolution that you support the Second Amendment for your constituents.
- As an elected official of the County, you recognize you won’t encourage or participate in the Jim Crow racist origins of ‘gun control’ and press them upon your friends and neighbors. As a leader of your community, you know and cherish a government that doesn’t pick and choose which citizens on whom to bestow or remove basic human rights. County Sheriffs and County Attorneys have come on board as well to show their support for the civil rights of their county brethren.
- Some counties have tweaked the sample language a bit, but most have adopted it ‘as is’ for their resolutions.
- Remember, you’re going to hear some people who think your resolution rolls back federal and state laws. We know this isn’t true. Help them understand this is a declaration of support for a fundamental civil right. As individuals, they can embrace or deny those civil rights for themselves, but as an elected official it is your responsibility to protect those choices for each person to make, across the board.
RESOLUTION DECLARING YOUR COUNTY TO BE A SECOND AMENDMENT SANCTUARY COUNTY
WHEREAS, the right of the people to keep and bear arms is guaranteed as an individual right under the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” and
WHEREAS, the right of the people to keep and bear arms for the defense of life, liberty, and property is regarded as an inalienable right by the people of YOUR County, Iowa; and
WHEREAS, the people of YOUR County, Iowa derive economic benefit from all safe forms of firearms recreation, hunting, and shooting conducted within YOUR County using all types of firearms allowable under the United States Constitution and the laws of the State of Iowa; and
WHEREAS, the YOUR County Board of Supervisors was elected to represent the citizens of YOUR County, and have sworn by their Oath of Office to uphold the United States Constitution and the Constitution of the State of Iowa; and
WHEREAS, Iowa State Senators and State Representatives have also sworn by their Oath of Office to uphold the United States Constitution and the Constitution of the State of Iowa; and
WHEREAS, legislation is currently being considered and expected to be proposed by both the Iowa State Legislature and Federal Legislature that potentially seeks to infringe on the constitutionally protected right of citizens to keep and bear arms; and
WHEREAS, it is desirable to declare that YOUR County is a Second Amendment Sanctuary County, as YOUR County opposes the enactment of any legislation that would infringe upon the constitutional right of the people of YOUR County to keep and bear arms.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the YOUR County Board of Supervisors hereby declares YOUR County to be a Second Amendment Sanctuary County, and hereby states its opposition to the enactment of any legislation that would infringe upon the constitutional right of the people of YOUR County to keep and bear arms.
Download your copy of the 2A Sanctuary Language below: